Saturday, January 29, 2011

"PICTURE SCHEDULE"

For the most part, it has been difficult getting my son to do things independently.  From the moment he got out of bed. Doing tasks throughout the day.  And at last, putting him down for the night.  Something has got to change, he's 5 years old! We possibly can not be doing everything for him for ever.

I know that he knows how to do things like getting dressed, but he doesn't.  Everything we had done with him we have been doing since he was a baby.  I guess I'm saying that we got so used to doing it for him.  I remember earlier that we tried, but, he just didn't.  Did he not want to because he knew we would take over and do it for him? Or does he not understand? This was very frustrating.  How can we make him to get himself dressed, pick up his toys, brush his teeth, etc...

Some of Danes Pictures Schedules
We were referred to a picture schedule from the school.  This is where we put a line of simple pictures down in a row and when he does it, take it off.  I am still amazed how quickly things started to change with him.

This is where visual thinking comes into play.  Even though I would hold up his coat right in front of him, he didn't understand what I wanted him to do.  Something as simple as a picture schedule gave him a visual of a coat.  When he sees that picture, the image is stored in his mind and things start to click.

I don't know where we would be if we didn't start this picture scheduling.  The autistic mind holds on to routines and with picture schedules, it helps them show what is to come next.

No comments:

Post a Comment