Saturday, February 4, 2012

Explaining Death Again - R.I.P. Gizmo

Another one bites the dust.  Gizmo, the black and white guinea pig was killed in a tragic accident.  I could have probably prevented it by telling the kids to put the pigs back in their cage while I got ready.  Both Wubbzy and Gizmo were squeaking happily and the kids were petting them.

Dane opened the door and said he was going outside to put Gizmo in the grass.  I thought that would be okay for the next couple minutes while I took a quick shower.  I was wrong.  I got out of the shower with a towel on and Allyson said to me that Gizmo wasn't moving or playing.  I was like, "What?"  I walked around the corner and to my disappointment, there was Gizmo.  She was laying on top of the garbage can on her back, lifeless.  Dead as a doornail.

I admit to myself that I did not much like cleaning up after these pets.  All they do is eat and go to the bathroom.  We got them to teach Dane some responsibility.  He does good keeping them fed and watered.  I need to remind him a lot to look over them.  Not to mention that Dane makes quite the mess taking care of them.  Always spilling pellets everywhere and putting more food dishes and moving the water feeder all the time.  Dane cannot get comfortable with any set spot the food and water are in.  He's always rearranging them.

Okay, so I ask what happened? Dane said that Gizmo is dead.  "Yeah, I see that.  How did Gizmo die?" It took some time but Dane told me that he threw the poor thing.  I don't know if he was playing catch with it or dropped it or sat on it.  I asked Ally and she said she didn't know.

It was an accident and Dane wants another guinea pig.  I had to explain death again to which he has no concept of.  I say that Gizmo is with Jesus and he's in a better place.  Either way, a pet killed by rough play cannot be replaced like a toy car.  We need time to show Dane that Gizmo isn't coming back.  We tell Dane that he needs to take extra special care of Wubbzy now.  We told him that he cannot throw, sit or cover the guinea pig.  He needs to be very nice or the same thing will happen to Wubbzy as Gizmo. The problem now is that Wubbzy is depressed and not eating.  I hope it doesn't starve itself to death.  My wife wants it to have company or it probably will die from starvation.  Who knows.

I wrapped Gizmo up in a small towel and my wife told Dane to tell Gizmo goodbye and that he's sorry. Dane showed concern but didn't cry.  I don't think he realized what he did.  Accidents happen and it happened so fast.

My wife went to get the kids ready to go shopping.  In the meantime, I dug a quick hole by the garage and buried Gizmo.

No comments:

Post a Comment