Wednesday, August 10, 2011

feelings

When Dane wants something or to do something, it's NOW!  There in no patience involved.  He doesn't get the fact when someone is busy that he needs to wait a bit.  It is always about him.  He doesn't seem to think of others or how it will affect their feelings.

My wife bought a baby book with pictures to show the feelings of others.  I can see why she bought it.  I don't think he knows or understands facial expressions.  To see and visualize what these people are feeling in the photos helps him to see expression.

The first picture was a happy family.  I had to tell him over and over that this is the kind of family we want.  Happy Family.  Next picture was sad.  I want him to know that we want and need a happy family and not a sad or angry family.  I go on to explain that when he is sad or angry that the whole family is affected.  I hope it sinks in that happy is so much better then angry.  We can do more when everyone is happy.  When the kids don't listen we have to discipline and not go to the store.  Not go outside.  It affects everyone.  Parenting is not as fun as they make it look on television.  Especially when you have one with special needs and needs special attention given to.

I hope with his therapy that he will be able to control his frustration in time.  When he is frustrated, he will storm off and say he's gonna do it, go outside, hit something or break something.  "Daddy, go outside?"  he says.  "No, Dane.  It's raining and windy and cold."  I say.  "Alright!  I'm going outside!"  and he storm off trying to get out.  No is never an answer with him.  Again, it's always what he wants and feels nothing about others.  Even when I say, "Pretty soon."  That's not soon enough and he gets angry and try's to storm out without anyone being ready.  Not even he is ready to go out.  Skip the shoes and coat.  He wants out and he's going with or without me or his shoes and jacket.  Everything has to be done at the drop of a hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment