Thursday, September 29, 2011

sensory sack/body sock

I arrived at the elementary school at 2:50 to get Dane out of school and take him to his therapy.  He was so proud of himself because he walked from his class all the way to the office by himself.  That was very exciting for me also to see how happy he was to walk himself.  For the past 3 weeks a teacher or other student had walked Dane to the office to meet with me.  He leaves 10 minutes before recess and gets ahead of the other classes and away from the noise and clutter of children working their ways through the hallway.  The first thing he told me was, "Daddy, I walked all by myself."  He had a big smile on his face and couldn't wait to tell his mother, Grandpa and his therapist.

I told Danes therapist about at times how he enters his own world.  He makes lots of noises.  He bothers his sister constantly even while I try to separate the two.  He bangs his head and his body twitches.  I told the therapist that Dane has been asking for "squeezes" also.  After I give him a firm hug and put pressure on his joints that helps to calm him.  Usually my wife would take him for a short drive around town and get him out of the house and away from his sister.  When they return, Dane settles down a lot.  I asked if there were any "sensory" toys or games he could use to entertain and calm himself without having to go for a drive all the time.

Dane in a sensory sack for comfort
Kate, Danes therapist, recommended a few things.  Bean bag chairs that he could be placed between for pressure.  She said he didn't think much of the weighted vest and didn't have one in his size to borrow.  She said he enjoys playing with the beans and running his hands through them and letting them fall through his fingers.  The last idea she has was the sensory sack or body sock it's called.  Kate used it during his therapy and he did good with it.

The sensory sack Dane really likes and we got to borrow it and see if it is worth getting one.  I noticed a difference letting him use it tonight.  The sack must be made from nylon that stretches and forces pressure on him and helps calm him down.  Nonetheless, he has fun with it and tucks completely in it and hides.  The only problem is that his sister, Ally, wants one too.  The first night I had to have them take turns because they fought over it.  It looks like I will have to buy two of them just to prevent constant fighting over it.

No comments:

Post a Comment