Thursday, February 24, 2011

New Teacher

Today, my sons early education teacher found another teaching job closer to her home. She left without warning and didn't say goodbye to her class. My son took this quite hard. This is a break in his routine and now what he knows so well has suddenly changed.

His new teacher seems very nice. She also has experience dealing with special needs children and those especially on the autism spectrum disorder (ASD). In time, my son will learn to grow close to her as well as he did his last teacher.

This is a shock to my wife and I how his teacher left the way she did. I am sure she has her own reasons. Maybe she wanted to make a clean break and hold back her emotions? Maybe with this government bill with the teachers union she was afraid of a pink slip? I know she loved her class very much. My son adored her. She was a very good teacher and I will miss her and so will her students.

We have my sons class picture hanging up on the tack board with his old teacher on it. We told him that he can still look at her picture to remember her when he wants. We are still trying to figure out how to explain why she left. All we can tell him now is that he has a new teacher and that she will be good to him like the other teacher.

I hope he will deal with this issue. This is a big change that happened so fast. If I feel shocked and awed by this, how can he feel? Routines are very hard to break with a child of autism. I've dealt with small things such as toys. But a person who has brought him so much inspiration and admiration? That has to be a greater heart ache than moving one of his toy cars out of alignment.

No comments:

Post a Comment