Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Family Medical Leave (FML) for autism services

I took a personal day off from work tomorrow to meet with Danes therapists. I went into my employer's office and talked to Human Resources about taking Family Medical Leave for the following Thursday. After the doctors fill out the form I have up to 15 days to return it to the office or that day(s) will count against me.

Dane went on his first field trip and rode the big yellow bus to a local farm today. He had to wear rubber boots because of all the mud. The ground is sopping wet. He said that "Cows poop a lot." He's right.

I spent the remainder of the day trying to keep the kids entertained outside. I put training wheels on a 20" bike for Dane and put Ally in the bike trailer. I took the 3' wire fence down I used around my backyard that was supposed to contain them. They always ran around the front of the house or garage leaving me to chase them home from the neighbors yard. Dane was mostly over there for their pin wheels in their flower bed and Ally would follow.

I put the batteries back in their power wheels and they chased each other around the yard. The 90 year old lady was putting her garbage out and the kids ran over to her and said "hi." That left me to go talk to her. She's a nice old lady but she always tears up when I talk to her. She is very lonely and really wants someone to talk to.

After I got the fence rolled up I asked if the kids wanted to go for another bike ride. They both got into the bike trailer. I rode our way up to the park. When I say "rode" I mainly mean, walked. Having 2 kids weighing 90 lbs. combined pulling them behind you uphill is not easy work.

We arrived at the small park and they went on the merry-go-round. The ground was soaked and we didn't stay very long. After a small crying spell I got the kids ready to go home.

It was getting dark so the solar lights begin to come on. Dane got fixated on why some worked and some didn't. Some of them he had in the light yet and he started to hit them on the ground and yell. He took the old, broken pin wheel from the old lady's house. All that was left was the center and he spun it for some time.

I made the kids a turkey and cheese sandwich. Dane ate his. Ally ate half and gave me the rest. I don't like to waste food so I went to eat it. Gritty I thought. I opened up the sandwich and it was full of sand. She dropped it and gave it to me. No wonder why she didn't want it.

Dane got back on his bike and tried to ride in the road by himself. I ran out and told him to stay on the side. A car was coming and he did a quick turn around right in the middle of the car. It's a good thing I was there or something bad could have happened. I am trying to teach him to watch for cars and stay on the side of the road. I also don't want him on the road without me.

Every thing needs to be explained "why" he can't do things he does from what his therapists tell us. I really don't know how much he understands so I have to still use short sentences around him. Something like, "No road! Danger. Cars can hit you! It scares me that he thinks he can just do it and run off by himself. I always have to keep a close eye on him.

No comments:

Post a Comment