Thursday, July 28, 2011

Haircuts and Sensitivity

Who would have thought that having children that cutting their hair was like pulling teeth! Metaphorically speaking of course. Literally speaking though, cutting a kid's hair when they are autistic makes them feel like their being tortured.

We have not even tried to take my son to a hair salon because he would freak out most likely. We considered "Fantastic Sams" but we changed our mind quickly after our shopping experience at Walgreens. He threw a fit and didn't want to leave the store. He ran around the aisle and was hard to catch. This was because we wouldn't let him get a new toy. We are trying to teach him that we can't buy him something everywhere we go just so he behaves.

I cut my own hair to save some dollars. In the meantime I have cut my dads and my brothers. I cut my son's just so he doesn't take out his frustration on the person cutting his hair. I don't think they would be able to handle him squirming and screaming that his hair hurts. He cries and tells me "All done!" I keep telling him, "Your doing so well. We can take a short break." One side is done and it looks like crap so I want to finish it. He does get back in the chair and it is painful to watch and clip trying not to hurt him.

I don't understand what hurts him. Is it the pulling of the clippers? I cut slow and the blades are sharp so they glide gently. Is it the buzzing noise of the clippers? Is it too loud for him? Or both? Apparently hair can be as sensitive as biting into a mouthful of frozen ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment