Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Sharing

My 2 nephews came home with my mother from a rock and fossil exhibit.  Dane was excited and wanted to see their rocks.  One of my nephews is stubborn and didn't even want Dane to see the rocks.  Dane got upset because he felt left out.  He was left out and that is wrong what those boys did.  My older nephew said that they were his rocks.  I'm thinking, your 10 and he's 5.  Show him the damn rocks already.  

My other nephew gave my wife a polished red rock, in turn, gave to my son.  He felt happy and included and had something to talk to my dad about.  Why couldn't my one nephew, who is old enough, just let him look and the rocks.  Is that so much to ask?

I'm actually proud of my younger nephew for standing up to his brother.  He told him that he didn't even buy the rocks, Grandma did!  Later on, he gave Dane a few more of his rocks.  Sure, their polished and look really nice.  These rocks are going to be put somewhere around the house and forgotten about more likely.  I'll probably put them in the fountain my wife bought so that will put them to some use.

I was thinking, okay my nephew is 10 and doesn't want to include on his young cousin, my son, his precious rocks.  Dane knows how to share at least.  What's his excuse?  Makes me feel like a proud father that I'm teaching my son not to be greedy and share with others.  Sure, at times he yells and tries to hit his sister.  That's mostly because she takes things away from him.  That's mostly normal childhood behavior I think.

If Dane gets something he will will usually bring more then 1 and give something to his little sister, or me.  That's pretty impressive how he has manners.  I am teaching him to say please and thank you.  Some times Dane and his little sister, Ally, will say "Now, daddy!"  I don't like that.  I make them say please in a respectful tone before I do anything for them.  I know their a bit spoiled but I demand their respect as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment