Wednesday, March 30, 2011

FAMILY COUNSELING

Let's face it.  Everyone has problems.  Throw in a child with special needs is like riding a bicycle up hill.  It makes it that much harder.  To make things easier for you, wouldn't you want to get off that bike and walk up it.  That's the way I think about it.

Some days are better than others.  Some are horrible.  Throw in a full days hard work and then taking care of kids is yet another full time job in itself.  Would you like just to sit down and relax for once?  I sure would.

Divorce is on the rise of parents with special needs children.  Taking care of my autistic son some days is no walk in the park.  Other days it seems like he is a normal boy smiling and playing with his little sister. 

They like to take turns on who is naughty.  When they are fighting over their toys there is no pleasing either one.  If they can't play nice, no one gets to play with that toy.  Then I'm the bad guy.  Why can't they get along when I am so exhausted after a long day?  That would be nice.

Time to get out.  Drop the kids off with the grandparents or the baby sitter.  Even a trip to the store without the children can take the edge off.  Life and marriage with children is stressful.  Take the time to get reconnected with your spouse.  Talk about you want from each other or go on a date.  Time off is a good thing.

Family counseling is going to be a part of my sons intensive therapy for his autism.  I did not like the idea at first but its worth saving my marriage and working out the kinks.  The best thing I think people can do with children is work out their differences.  For the children. 

I've seen the effects divorce does to children.  It messes with their heads.  One parent bashes the other.  I do not like that.  I do not want to be one of those fathers who just walks out.  Long story short. Work things out and think about your kids first.  Maybe family counseling is the right thing for you to save your family.

2 comments:

  1. I just found your blog last week and have enjoyed reading it! Nice to hear from a dad's perspective on this. My oldest daughter was diagnosed last year at age 8 with PDD-NOS. We finally got her appoved for special ed services through the school district but she does inclusion. She is very high functioning so to the untrained eye she doesn't appear any different. And then I have twin 5 year old girls who add the craziness in our family and my husband and I both work full time and he travels during the week out of town. We ended up going to a marraige seminar that helped our marriage. The divorce rates are extremely high for someone with a child with autism and also with multiple births. My husband is still in somewhat denial of her diagnosis. So anyhow I have enjoyed your posts and it has help me look at things in a different perspective!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for the kind words. I pray for the best of luck for you and your family.

    ReplyDelete