Saturday, April 30, 2011

Regression

With the loss of my sons teacher he has regressed back to having a matchbox car with him in class. He will not leave the house unless he has the car in his pocket to take to school with him. He needs it during class to focus on what the new teacher talks about during her lesson.

This was the way it was with my sons last teacher. He can pay attention and listen to his teacher, but, he has to be spinning the wheels of the small car during the class. Even though he isn't watching her teach, he is listening. I don't know if he can't watch and understand what she is saying at the same time or its part of his autism in the way he learns.

My son took quite an attachment to his last teacher. Her up and leaving as fast as she did set him back to a regressed stage in his life. He was out of the routine of having the car in class. Maybe he needs to get to know his new teacher a bit and then he won't need the car anymore. With his teacher he knows leaving has really affected his routine of going to school.

I have read the new teachers note about herself. She graduated in 2008 with a special education degree. After graduation she was a long term substitute for a middle school autism program. Then she taught the last year and a half as the multi-categorical special education teacher for student's grades 1-8.

I hope in time that my son accepts this teacher like the old one. I'm very happy to know that his new teacher has experience in the autism expertise of her special education.

No comments:

Post a Comment