Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Shrine Circus

I woke up this morning crammed in the middle of Dane on the edge by my wife, Dawn.  I was laying on my side next to Dawn and Ally was curled in a ball next to me on the other side.  Glancing up at the clock it read about 6:30 A.M.  I was thinking to myself that I'll try to roll out around 7 and maybe get the house picked up to start the day.

Just then Dane woke up and wanted to lay buy me.  He walked around to the other side of the bed where his sister, Allyson was sleeping.  He said he wanted to lay by daddy and started hitting her in her sleep.  What a way to start the day off.  Ally started crying and Dane kept saying that "Daddy's naughty."  He finally went to his room and slammed the door.  I peeked in and he was gazing at his guinea pigs.  As long as he's quiet and content I'll stay clear from him.

My wife told me later in the morning that Dane's therapist had given her 2 free passes to the circus in town.  I wasn't sure about going and taking the kids but I called up Grandma and asked if she wanted to go.  She said she'd come but have to catch a quick nap first.  That was fine because the show didn't start for 6 hours.  For the next 3 hours Dane kept saying, "Go to the circus?"  I told him it doesn't start till 3.  He wanted to push a chair next to the clock and turn the little hand to 3.  He thinks that makes it 3 o'clock by doing that.  I tell him that's not how time works and he still needs to wait a few hours.

I was surprised how well the kids sat through the 2 hour show.  Dane cupped his ears a lot from the crowd and music.  I didn't like how people kept walking through with snow cones, popcorn, toys, water, glow sticks, etc...The whole first half was people selling over priced junk.  We did buy a bucket of popcorn for 10 bucks, cotton candy for 4 bucks before the show.  During, I bought a snow cone in a lighted cup for 10 bucks for Dane.  He became to focused on the cup that we had to shut it off so he would watch the show.  Later, Grandma bought Ally one so she had a lighted cup also.

Dane with elephant in background
By intermission time, Dane wanted to leave.  I told him that it was almost over.  I think the noise was getting to him but he did tough it out.  Just before intermission ended, he had to pee.  Then Ally wanted to go also.  Dawn and Grandma took the kids to the bathroom while I held our spot.  They didn't miss much by the time they got back.  People were getting rides on the elephants and they were selling more junk to people in the stands.

About a minute before the show ended, Dane had to go pee again.  I got up and started walking him towards the front and then the show was over.  It was probably a good thing we got up when we did because we beat two thirds of the crowd out the door.

It didn't take long for the kids to fall asleep in the vehicle on the way home.  I'm glad we went but I don't think I'll go to another circus for a long time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment