Friday, November 18, 2011

6 years old

Happy Birthday Dane!  6 years ago today I became a father.  I remember on the day he was born I got a call at work.  Dawn's in labor.  It was snowing outside and I listened to Green Day, "Warning" on the way to the hospital.  Her water broke after she carried two 12 packs of soda and started shoveling the walkway.

I remember holding my wifes legs together as they gave her the epideral.  I remember her calling the front desk on her cell phone and said, "Hi, this is Dawn and I just threw up."  Her call light wasn't working.  She puked into her ice water cup.  What she drank she filled back up.  That was kinda gross.  I don't think we kept that cup for memories of this day.

I was sitting in the back of the room watching Animal House on the TV.  She's giving birth and I'm watching John Belushi yell, "TOGA!  TOGA!  Dawns nurse was 6 months pregnat and asked her how she could be doing this.  The nurse laughed and said, "I don't know, Dawn."  Dawn then said she should have gotten a puppy instead. 

Dane was born and they wanted me to cut the cord.  I shook my head no.  He was blue and not breathing.  They sucked him out and put him under the oxygen.  I'm glad I stayed back or I could have complicated things worse with him.

I didn't know what to get Dane for his birthday this year.  I know he has a scientific mind and wants to know how and why things are the way they are.  He is afraid of tornados and storms.  I got him a Discovery Kids Tornado.  I also got him a marble run and a Discovery Kids alarm clock that projects the solar system on the ceiling.  I didn't give him the kids laptop I bought at the consignment shop yet.  Eveything was half off and I had a 10 dollar off coupon so that was nice or I dont think he would have got much.

I let him pick out his cake.  I thought he'd get the Cars cake with Mader and Lightning McQueen but he chose the fish one.  I got him some candles and a big number 6 to put on the cake.  He got out of school early today.  He was the class leader and took his rain stick for show and tell.  I also got him 2 packages of cookies to share with his class.  A little hispanic girl seems to have a crush on Dane.  That is so cute.

I have to work Saturday so Dane and Ally will spend the night with their grandparents so I don't have to drag them out of bed at 5 AM.  Dawn will get home and get a little bit of sleep before I get home and then hopefully we can take the kids shopping or something.  Another 4 weeks Ally turns 4.  If it wasn't for Danes little sister I don't think he'd be able to talk as well as he does now.

No comments:

Post a Comment