Monday, November 21, 2011

Solutions

I talk to Danes teacher nearly every day after school is over.  He is off to a good start and working on what kind of sensory breaks he should have and how often.  To help him be less figgity in his seat he sits on a bumpy air cushion.  My wife asked Dane what that was for and he says, "I put my butt on it."  He is funny that way.  The teacher also has a wedge for him to write on to keep his forearm flat.  When he writes he picks up his arm up and writes like he has a claw hand.  His name writing has become a lot better and clearer and he is so proud of himself.

We had our first frost and Danes teacher asked my 3 year old daughter, Ally, if she likes snow.  Ally is so funny.  She says, "Yes, I like to eat snow.  But not the yellow snow.  That's pee."  The teacher burst out laughing.  Hell, even for me not there and my wife telling me this I almost dropped my phone at work laughing.

My wife and I try to communicate as much as we can.  It helps knowing what each other is thinking and what the kids are doing.  We had a very scary August where we thought our marriage was failing.  It was.  We didn't talk much.  We work opposite shift.  We were growing apart.  The divorce rate is some 80% of those with a child with special needs.  It however was a wake up call for us to start getting along and stop fighting over little stuff.

I have seen a big difference with the kids attitudes towards each other and us.  There was always so much tension and unnesessary drama going on.  Showing my wife more affection and her to me has brought my family closer.  We have been so busy working and angry because of all the stress that we have lost our ground.  We realize now that we still a family and need to work on something to fix it.  Getting my wife off night shift to start.

With work, Danes therapy and schooling, bills, not seeing each other all added up.  We felt like two single parents doing the best to raise our kids.  Life isn't easy but there is always a solution.  Nothing comes easy and it takes hard work and discipline to get results.

No comments:

Post a Comment