Sunday, November 6, 2011

Therapy Plus School

With Dane now in Kindergarten, his routine of therapy on Tuesdays and Thursdays for 3 hours have been set off.  He will now have his autism therapy 1 day a week for one hour after school.  I hope that this isn't too hard on the little guy.

I have to get up at 4:50 in morning and get ready for work.  I need to be out the door by 5:40.  In that time I have to get ready, eat a quick breakfast if I'm lucky, get the kids ready and get out the door to meet my wife in the parking lot at work.  We exchange a few words.  She gives me the keys.  I say goodbye to my family and go to work for the day.

Usually my wife would have to work all night and then take Dane to therapy.  She has been so exhausted from working all night and then driving home, changing and then driving 40 minutes to get to Dane's therapy session.  For the next few hours she needed to wait or go window shopping just to stay awake.  A mountain dew or McDonalds cafe' usually perked her up just enough to get her back home and crash.

Along side the stress of raising the kids and working separate shifts has taken a tole on our marriage.  We bickered a lot causing tension in the house.  The kids could sense it.  We felt like we were growing apart.  We realized there was a problem and got it all out on the table of our issues.  The biggest one of getting my wife off of the night shift and to go part-time.  Now to assess the situation and work on our budget.

No comments:

Post a Comment